Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sweet Gula Melaka

During my tea break, I was craving for cake. I overheard my colleague's conversation that there was a gula melaka cake at Cedele which was really good. I figured it was time for me to get there to satisfy my craving. I was curious how Cedele is going to put gula melaka into their cake.

Gula Melaka is a a palm sugar normally used in Malay desserts like chendol, ondeh ondeh and a few to list. I love gula melaka. The taste of palm sugar is similar to brown sugar but this tastes better. It has a butterscotch and caramel flavour with a good rich flavour at the end when you savour it into your mouth. I have gone on countless tasting of cakes at Cedele and I have to declare this gula melaka cake is one of my favourite.

The cake is frosted with gula meleka cream cheese frosting and finished with coconut shreds at the side. Its so lovely. The frosting was not overly sweet as you would expect it to be because gula melaka has a very rich flavour. Surprisingly, the gula melaka blends well with the cream cheese and went perfectly well with the coconut shreds. I was already extremely excited with the first bite.

With the second bite, you can taste the soft fragrant pandan cake sandwiched with pandan egg custard(kaya). Cedele is known for baking their cakes with organic produce so I am rest assured that this cake is baked with organic unrefined sugar and grapeseed oil. Now, I can indulge without guilt. The pandan leaves are freshly squeezed daily and the kaya is made by them.

I really love their sweet-salty kaya spread on the cake. The kaya is not too sweet and has a nice salty flavour at the end when you taste it. It was unexpectedly good with the gula melaka cream cheese frosting.

Initially, I was skeptical about this cake because the ingredients used to bake this is often used in our local Malay dessert. However after tasting this, I change my mind as the taste was familiar and comforting so close to our Malay desserts. I think this it really good. Probably I can say its a good new creation  of a Malay dessert.

How I wish they sell the gula melaka cream cheese frosting and the kaya in tubs. I am sure I will buy a few tubs home and spread a generous portion of gula melaka cream cheese frosting with kaya on my toast in the morning. I am pretty sure they will make a good spread during breakfast time. Gula Melaka and kaya toast anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment