Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fruity Delights

If you are getting sick of all the lotus paste filling mooncakes or the rich tasting chocolate truffles and alcohol infused fillings. Here's one which is light on the palate.

You see, my palate was getting jaded over the richness of the lotus mooncakes I had the over the past few days so I decided to have something light. Goodwood Park Hotel serves fruity mooncakes which are light and refreshing.They are famous for their fruity range of handcrafted snowkin mooncakes.  These are just what I was looking for.

They serve Apple Caramel , Mango with Pomelo, D24 Durian, Cempedak and Almond Beancurd with Longan snowskin mooncakes. Everything looks enticing and I could not make my mind which one to start first.

I closed my eyes and selected the Apple caramel snowskin mooncake first. This creation  is refreshingly light. It contains chunks of fresh and caramelized green apple amid green apple puree. This creation blew mind away. This is definitely a welcome zesty treat for our tropical weather.

Next I tried the Mango with Pomelo flavour and each bite of this, my mouth is sinked with smooth mango puree with mango cubes and pomelo sac. Totally refreshing on the palate. Its as good as having the fruit on its own. Equally delectaable are their D24 Durain and Cempedak snowskin mooncakes. Every bite is generously filled with the rich creamy paste made from fresh pulp of D24 Durains and Cempedak fruits. I have to say this is slightly richer tasting compared with the previous two as the fruit nature on its own is rich. If you are looking for something light, this is not the one to start off with. However I can say the chef are not stingy with the Durain and Chempedak fillings.

Lastly, the Almond Beancurd with Longan snowskin mooncake is absolutely divine. When I first tasted it, it tastes exactly like our almond beancurd dessert we have at our local dessert stall. Later I found out, that the chef has taken inspiration from our popular Chinese desert which I mentioned earlier on and created in their mooncakes. So ingenious of them. The smooth Almond Beancurd paste is complemented with juicy Longan bits that add texture to the mooncake. I have to complement the pastry chef for their creativity to transform something from our local dessert into a masterpiece.

The fruity creations are a good choice after meal dessert if you are looking for something light and refreshing. Especially after a heavy meal, this dessert will not bloat your stomach. Instead of having fruits, you can indulge in these fruity delights without guilt. What's more, if you freeze these mooncakes, they taste like fruity ice cream. Good to cool you down in this tropical weather. I love these fruity creations because you can have them both ways. Either eat it chilled like fruits or freeze them to have it as ice cream. Absolutely refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment