Saturday, October 16, 2010

Salted Caramel Mooncake


When it comes to salted caramel, my knees will go weak. I have a soft spot for salted caramel because the pairing of sweet and savoury makes me drool. I feel the salt will not make the caramel overly sweet especially when good quality salt is used. Moreover, it makes an interesting kick to your taste bud.

I was overjoyed, when I found out Jewels created snowskin mooncakes with salted caramel truffle. Jewels is recognized for their hand made chocolates so I believe their salted caramel truffle mooncake will not disappoint me. Immediately, I picked up the phone to reserve a box of these salted caramel mooncake.

When I collect it the next day, I could not resist the temptation and opened the box on the spot to taste. Yes!! I am crazy!! I am totally obsessed with any dessert which has salted caramel. My first bite of this salted caramel mooncake, blew my mind away. Its totally sublime. As my teeth sink into the truffle center, the salted caramel oozes into my mouth and you can feel the saltiness of the caramel balance well with the sweetness from the lotus paste. Totally fantastic!

This gave me a tremendous pleasure from tasting the sweet and savoury combination of this dessert. The salt gave a good kick to the caramel. Later, did I know the salt was actually volcanic sea salt. Thumbs up to the chef!!  The chef has not made the truffle too salty or too sweet. Its a good balance. Sometimes, you may find certain salted caramel dessert either too salty or sweet but this was just perfect. I have to complement the chef's refine skill of crafting this creation together.

She is totally ingenious. The salted caramel paired very well with the lotus filling. When eaten as a whole, the mooncake was not overly sweet. On top of that, the chef has added melon seeds in the mooncake to give a good crunchy bite to the mooncake. The taste is so good that I feel as though I am floating over the moon. The whole experience is wonderful and addictive. After your first piece, I  reached out for another piece. I know I am not going to share this box with anyone.

This is a must try for salted caramel lovers. The salted caramel mooncake contrast very well between the salted caramel and lotus paste. The salted caramel snowskin mooncake has stole my heart. I am definitely reserving another 2 boxes for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment