Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blue Mooncakes

Look at what I found at the mooncake fair- Blue mooncake ! When it comes to new mooncake flavours, the sky is never the limit. I chanced upon this Blue Gem while I was browsing the various mooncakes displayed at the fair. This caught my attention immediately so I went over to the booth to find out what it was. At first glance, I could not visualize a blue colour associated with any food that could be mixed in a mooncake. I thought the pastry chef was trying to tickle buyer's fancy by dying the the snowskin blue. Apparently its durain mooncake. How ingenious the pastry chef is.

These blue mooncakes are crafted by Xin cusine restaurant and they have decided to go Peranakan this year with theses durian ones. The translucent snowksin is made using glutinous rice flour and dyed blue with pea flowers. So the dye is natural and not artificial which I was skeptical at first. I was thinking to myself, how on earth Blue can be associated with a natural food colouring. To my surprise, the filling of this mooncake is none other the creamy durain fruit. Initially, I thought it was blueberry filling. This has definitely caught my attention . The chef has given a twist to this creation so I decided to give it a try. Since durain mooncakes has been popular among Asians so I want to see how this little confection beats the rest that I have tasted before.

Durian mooncake has become so common that one is hard pressed to recall a time when the flavour was considered novel. I guess that's why Xin Cusine Restaurant went up their ante of durain concoction by dying their snowskin in blue. Visually they look attractive so it certainly yells for attention at the fair.

Durain popularity speaks of Asian undying love for the pungent fruit. For durain fans, the durain mooncake is the perfect excuse to indulge in this creamy delicacy. These Blue Gems at Xin Cusine are made from D24 durains. I hope they taste as creamy and bitter sweet as the D24 durian.

As I sink my mouth into these tiny gems, the skin is slight chewy . To my surprise, I could not even detect the pea flower dye. The snowskin does not taste artificial at all and it has a nice bite.  The filling has a nice puply texture and has a pleasant taste. However, I wish the flavour could be stronger.

If you are durian lover this is nothing to shout about because I have tasted better ones than these. I like my durain filling to be pungent, creamy and packed with a good punch. I will prefer the skin that melts in your mouth. Most of all, the pulp to have a luscious texture like durian ice cream - rich with a hint of bitterness for kick and balance.

However, you may consider buying these blue gems as gifts to impress someone ( probably your boss or loved ones) because they are visually appealing. I am sure they will be impressed by the sight of it but make sure the receiver loves durain because not everyone accepts the pungent smell and taste of the durain. Go ahead make someone happy for the day with theses appealing Blue Gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment